Saturday, January 14, 2017

Texas Tarragon Will Work in Florida!

Texas Tarragon Even Works Inside!
Can't seem to stay away for long!  Since I answered Linda one of my readers from Florida who asked a question about savory, the 2015 Herb of the Year.  I have decided to answer FlowerLady Lorraine's question with a post of its own.

Her question was did I think she could grow Mexican or Texas tarragon in Florida.  I did give her a positive response, but I thought I would give the Florida herb gardeners a bit more information.  From the University of Florida extension here is a publication called Herbs in the Florida Garden.  It gives a good overall view of herbs that fare well in the Florida heat and humidity and says that tarragon struggles.  So here is Texas or Mexican tarragon (Tagetes lucida), a link from Bonnie Plants that gives some good information on the growing aspects of this licorice flavored herb.  Also it has a flower similar to the flowers of a 'Lemon Gem' marigold.  And I will add that for us Pennsylvania herb gardeners, it definitely is an annual, but it survives through the heat and humidity.

I asked The Herbal Husband when I was going away in November to cut it back and bring the branches in so they could dry inside.  But bless his heart, he dug up the entire plant and brought it in.  I have tried to minimize his plant work inside, but he just falls in love, herbally speaking, for all of the herbs we grow especially the annuals and wants them to get through the winter with us.

It really isn't winter in the 'Burgh at the moment.  We are supposed to be in the 50's all week!  What?  I still like winter and as I have mentioned it is good for the plants to have that break in the season.  I am afraid we may lose a few more plants than normal.  I am reminded that it is National Hot Tea Month.  So with that in mind, I may work on a few herbal tea blends for the next post.  Hope you are having a great day wherever you may be.  Talk to you soon.    

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It should be just fine as long as you keep it warm. I lose my in cold winter here in North Texas.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I need to see if my local box store has this tarragon. Tarragon is a wonderful herb with chicken or fish, also makes a lovely flavored vinegar.

Thanks for the info and link for growing herbs here in Florida.

Love & hugs to you and HH ~ FlowerLady

Carol said...

I've never grown tarragon and have only used it once with my cooking... it was a disaster but then I was in my twenties then and have developed a more refined taste for herbs and much better cooking skills. Perhaps I should give it another try :)