Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Off The Subject, Quilt Time!

A Bird Inspired Motif by The Tentmakers of Cairo!
An Audubon Inspired Quilt
A Quilt with HERBS!
One of My Favorites, Mt. Ruffmore!
Best in Show, An All Silk Quilt!
I'll get back to the garden.  I promise.  Well, it's been a couple of weeks since the American Quilt Society had one of several quilt weeks in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  My best friend, Marilyn (who is the real quilter) and I drove down there to enjoy the show and do some shopping.  Here are just a few of my favorites.  Two of the Tentmakers of Cairo were there demonstrating their immense talent.  Applique was my downfall in quilting and they take it on like they were machines doing the applique!  They were truly amazing and their quilts were flying off the walls.  The majority of what they had on display had sold.  This is a link to a website where they are producing a documentary about the Tentmakers of Chareh El Khiamiah.  There are some beautiful photos of their work under the link on the left side called Photos.

Then there were quilts that were made from patterns that were available and so quilters could see the finished project.  Of course, the next quilt caught my eye with the herb theme.  You know me.  I'll find herbs just about anywhere!  One of my favorite quilts was called Mt. Ruffmore.  I don't have any pets, but I just loved the whimsy of this quilt.  The last photo is of the Best in Show which won a $10,000 cash prize.  It was just beautiful.  All in all, it was an overwhelming experience, but fun.  Quilters are a talented group of women and men and their love of their hobby showed through in this show.  I'll share some more favorites later.

Still cold here in the 'Burgh.  Slowly warming up outside.  I can actually see a bit of blue sky.  So there is hope!  Hope you are having a great day.

2 comments:

MandaBurms FarmStay for Cats. said...

The winning quilt was well deserving - many hours of work in that one.
Loved the bird one too! Thanks for sharing I always love looking at quilts.
Love leanne

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Yes,Leanne, they were all one of a kind. Got to get down to NZ to see what's going on. xo LVL