Sunday, October 22, 2017

Hurry Up and Harvest!

My New Favorite Herb!
Well, it is getting to be that time in the herb garden!  Running around like crazy harvesting what needs to be harvested, herbally speaking that is.  In the photo is a favorite of mine.  Though I don't always have it in the herb garden.  It is called Texas tarragon (Tagetes lucida) by those of you who can't grow French tarragon in the heat of the south.  A member of the marigold family.  I think I have shared this link before from Texas A & M called The Three Tarragons.  It really does a good job.

This plant is two years old which means The Herbal Husband coaxed it through the winter last year.  I was hoping it would bloom this year, but I think it got too much shade from the lemon verbena not necessarily a bad thing.  I will mainly use my Texas tarragon dried in tea blends.  We will not be digging many of our tender perennials this year because they have gotten too large.  I would love to bring them all in, but it is just not going to happen.

So here are some of the herbs I will be harvesting this week:  lemon verbena (dry), Texas tarragon (dry), green pepper basil (vinegar), scented geraniums (dry) and chives (freeze).  I have already made a box each of lemon verbena and pineapple sage jellies.  I have not been as busy jelly wise this season as in others.  Didn't have that much extra time.

So as you can see the parsley post jump started my blog! Who knew that was going to happen?  Hope you are having a beautiful day wherever you may be.  Got to get out in the herb garden.  Talk to you later.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since we have already had a hard frost in NH, my harvesting is done. Weeding can continue until snow flies (if I want!) Do you have a favorite kind of mulch that you use in your herb gardens? I am still trying to get my shade herb garden going for next year..
Bev in NH

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hi Bev,

I really like to put compost down this time of year. We usually use a small hardwood mulch during the season. Keep weeding. It will make a difference in the spring. Thanks as always for stopping by.

Unknown said...

please share your pineapple sage jelly recipe

and any other ideas to use pineapple sage

I have tons

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hi Margaret Hill, I have written my latest post with you in mind. Hope you like it and get some ideas for using your pineapple sage! Thanks for stopping by.

Carol said...

Gardening has been hit and miss here all year. Between unfavorable weather and me not feeling up to the job the gardens are a mess. I spent most of last week weeding and harvesting what I could and this week has been a lost cause. We are suppose to get frost at the end of the week so I must force myself to gather what I can.