Friday, October 20, 2017

The Parsley Fairy Came!

Going to be Soup This Winter!

As you can see The Parsley Fairy (My Herbal Travel Companion, Bonnie) supplied the parsley in these two vases on the counter.   I came in from an errand and thought "Wow!  I thought our parsley plants were buried by other plants!"  Then I was enlightened by The Herbal Husband as to the source.  Here is a link to the recipe for Parsley Dill Soup.

I called Bonnie to thank her and she told me that the local herb group was harvesting their herb garden and cutting big bunches of parsley and cutting back their perennial herbs!  Lavenders, sages and thymes particularly.  Some herb gardeners are able to do that in the south especially.  Here in the northern half, I would tell you not to do that now.  Even though we have been having summertime weather here, it is way too late to be making a major harvest of perennial herbs.  It is always OK to trim out dead or diseased branches.  Just don't do anything too drastic.  It will be interesting to see how the local herb group's plants fare.  I will let you know what I learn in the spring!

As I have stated my needlework has sidetracked me these days.  I just have enjoyed that more than trying to figure out what to do in the herb garden.  I really do have a lot to say about herbs.  I just have to come up with a routine to post periodically and a bit more than zero or one post a month.  I am able to blog on my tablet so hopefully you will hear from me more often.  Remind me if I go away for too long.  We are going to have one great weekend and maybe I will get out and take a long look at what has been going on.  There is a lot of work to be done.  Talk to you later.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a big bunch of parsley for me today, too. Mine mixed with homemade cheeses in a big pan of lasagna. Love fresh parsley! I'm glad you still blog even if only occasionally, and I also go through some of your archived posts when I am looking for something about herbs. The weather has been dry and beautiful here in the Northeast, and the foliage has been awesome!
Bev in NH

Carol said...

I lost my parsley this year to the spreading asparagus. I'm sure it's probably buried in there somewhere but I can't see it right now. However the rest of the herb gardens are finally re-appearing as I've actually been able to get out there and weed this week. Now to get some mulch down before the weeds take over again. :-/