Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised--Herbally Speaking!

Salvia clevelandii (Cleveland sage or blue sage)

Curry Plant and Sage

Apple Scented Pelargonium (P. odoratissimum)
The rain has rolled in and the clouds are back, but when it was beautiful out, I remembered to take some photos! The top photo is Cleveland sage or blue sage.  It is a new favorite sage of mine.  So many sages, so little time!  I always passed it up at the nursery until this year.  It was planted in a shadier spot than I would have liked, but it did flower early and was leaning out to reach the sun.  In normal sunny conditions, it grows to about three feet.

I always love the combination of gray leaves and green blue leaves and that's the middle photo of curry plant (Helichrysum petiolatum) and it is NOT used in the cooking of curry dishes, but it smells just like the curry spice and sage, (Salvia officinalis) the herb of Thanksgiving.

I thought I had lost all of my scented pelargoniums, but there are several that have survived for now.  In the photo above, an apple scented one, a low grower.  The leaves feel like velvet.  The others that have survived are also all low growers, coconut (P. grossularioides) and nutmeg (P. fragrans).  I have a coconut that has come back for several years now near the air conditioner.

Hopefully I will get my work table cleaned off tomorrow and we will start the artemisia tree.  Hope you had a wonderful day wherever you may be.  Talk to you later.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The salvia family is one of my favorite also. Salvia clevelandii is beautiful.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

We have also in common, TG! Sending positive energy your way!

Becca's Dirt said...

Good looking herb plants. I want to plant more and learn to cook with them. I bet they will be good especially now that my diet is going to change to bland and tasteless - herbs will add a bit of flair and flavor.

Hope you are having a blessed day.

Carla said...

Love scented geraniums! I have a few; nutmeg, rose, lime and apricot. They make nice scented sugars to use for holiday cookies too.

Little Messy Missy said...

Curry plant...I am interested in that one. I have never heard of it before!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Herbs are really easy to add to your cooking Becca. Maybe in the new year I'll do some posts on herbal combinations for you. Take care of yourself!

Scented geranium sugar is a wonderful way to use scented geraniums.

Curry plant is a wonderful plant, Missy. Although I found out this year that when it flowers instead of attracting bees, it repels them! Other than that it is a wonderful textural addition to the herb garden or even your perennial garden.

Thanks for stopping by ladies.

Becky W said...

Does your coconut geranium survive the winter outdoors? I had two pop up this year from seed and I debated whether to dig them and bring them in or leave them. I have never been able to over-winter them indoors. I mulched around those two outside and am keeping my fingers crossed. I am in WV, so similar weather here.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I think the one near the air conditioner may come from the ground, Becky. Then again, it may just seed each year because I don't think it is in the exact same spot every year! I'll try and keep track of it for next year for you. I think the greatest problem is having the crown of the plant rot from too much water. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well, Becky. Thanks for your comment. Sorry I just saw it.