Sunday, April 6, 2014

High Tea at the Savoy, London, England 2013!

The Savoy Hotel Entrance!
A Very Cozy Entrance to the Hotel!
The Traditional English Gentlemen Club
A Sitting Area Waiting for Tea
The Thames Foyer Where Tea is Served
Our Menu for High Tea!
China by Wedgwood Exclusively for The Savoy!
Wedgwood Tea Cup Ready for My Tea!
Lovely Flowers Adorn the Table!
Assortment of Tea Sandwiches.  Fillings will be Discussed Below.
Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs!
Very Toasted Crumpets!
 An Assortment of Cake.  Types Described Below.
My Choice, the Pistachio and Raspberry Galette!
My Partners in Tea, Gloria and Susanna!
I always want to have a new experience when I go to England.  So in May of last year, my English herbal companion, Gloria suggested we have high tea instead of just afternoon tea.  High tea was more of a meal than just sandwiches, scones and tea.  Well, I love afternoon tea so high tea should be even better.  Gloria does like The Claridge's for afternoon tea and so do I but we had have this adventure.

The Savoy is a very beautiful hotel and the Thames Foyer where tea is served is light, airy and magical.  We all ordered our teas and I ordered jasmine.  Then came the tea sandwiches.  The fillings were lemongrass chicken salad, smoked Scottish salmon with mild horseradish, Wiltshire bone ham with honey mustard, egg salad with chives and tobiko and cucumber and tomato with basil cream.  Then came breakfast (or what I would consider breakfast) scrambled eggs (light and fluffy), smoked salmon and Melba toast.  Instead of scones and clotted cream and jam, there were crumpets with butter and jam.  Finally we had our choice of cakes, Gugelhupf cake, traditional Dundee cake and pistachio and raspberry galette.  Gugelhupf cake is a marble or bundt cake and with chocolate being the primary ingredient in this one, it was out for me.  Dundee cake is fruitcake and not my favorite.  So I chose the pistachio and raspberry galette which was delicious.

After a very wet day in London, the only one we had, it was wonderful to have high tea at The Savoy with Gloria and Susanna!   It is just about lunch time here!  So hope you enjoy it!  It is a beautiful day here in the 'Burgh!  Hopefully we will get out in the garden and tackle the cleanup!  More rain coming tomorrow!  Hope you are having a great Sunday.  Talk to you later.

2 comments:

Bernideen said...

Oh how wonderful! What a grand experience. Also, lovely seeing your garden come alive!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hi Bernideen, I thought you might enjoy high tea! xo