Friday, September 13, 2013

Herbal Crunch Time with Basil!

Busy Processing the Last of the Basil!
The Sweet Basil is Turning Black Already!
Three of My Favorite Books on Basil and Pesto!
We are starting to have 40's in our overnight temperatures here in the 'Burgh.  Basil is not a fan of those temperatures.  As you can see by the middle photo, it is already turning black.  So we cut the sweet basil and I made my pesto recipe which I just shared in my latest post for Mother Earth Living.  I also made an additional quart jar of Phyl's Lemon Herb Vinegar.  Here is a link for that blog post called Preserving Basil:  3 Inspiring Ideas where you can find both the pesto and vinegar recipe and a link for Renee Shepherd's Scented Basil jelly recipe that I have used by years.  In my last photo, I'm giving you some of my favorite basil books, Basil, an Herb Lover's Guide by Thomas DeBaggio & Susan Belsinger, The Basil Book by Marilyn Hampstead and Very Pesto by Dorothy Rankin.  You can find any of the three on BookFinder.com and at reasonable prices.  I also set up a batch of jelly and I'll leave you with a tease.  Will share the recipe next time we are together.

One of My Favorite Ways to Use Herbal Jelly!
Hope you have a great weekend.  I'll be busy making herbal stuff!  Talk to you later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always feel sad when I am using the last of the basil! It means summer is definitely over.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Well, Tracey, I have mixed feelings this year and maybe I'll talk about that in my next post. Thanks for stopping by as always. xo