Thursday, December 1, 2016

Herb Books Are Always A Good Gift!--Updated

I always think that books make a fantastic gift for any subject, but particularly for the herb gardener.  I love all of the classic authors, Adela Simmons, Bertha Reppert, Rosetta Clarkson, Mrs. C. F. Leyel, Helen Morgenthau Fox or Eleanor Sinclair Rohde to name just a few.  My contemporary favorite herbal authors include Emelie Tolley, Susan Belsinger, Jim Long, Tammi Hartung, Rosemary Gladstar, and Jekka McVicar.  Again to name just a few.  A friend on Facebook reminded me of the Language of Flowers and Herbs books that also fill my shelves are also great gifts whether old or new.  One of my favorite contemporary authors is Kathleen Gips and I believe a book in the photo is still available on Amazon.
Always at the Ready for Tussie Mussies!
You might also think about an herbal, spice or tea novel for that someone special.  A new one to me are the Spice Shop Mysteries of Leslie Budewitz.  I have not read any of them yet, but they all have recipes and who doesn't love a good mystery and a recipe too!  The other two series I have read all but the last two or three!  I have a lot of catching up to do.  Laura Childs' tea series and Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles series are the other two favorites.  All available on Amazon.
The Spice, Tea and Herbal Mysteries!
A new book by Caz Hildebrand called Herbarium puts a very contemporary spin on the drawings of the herbs or maybe it is a take on the drawings from the old herbals.  Each herb has a page of focused information.  This is a English publication so there may be herbs that a U.S. reader will be unfamiliar with but that adds to the fun of learning, doesn't it?  I would recommend it.

Well, it has gotten colder here in the 'Burgh, but it is December already!  I don't know how the year flew by so quickly!  Hope you are having a great day.  Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments: