Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Que Rico Pork!

Sunday nights is my night to cook and I cooked a pork roast. It got rave reviews from the Herbal Husband! It is a recipe from the Three Rivers Cookbook II from the 80's. I usually make slits in the roast and insert slivers of garlic and rosemary and then slather it with dijon mustard. It's good, but this is better and very easy! Here is the recipe:

Roast Pork Fillet in White Wine
"Wonderful on a chilly night"

4 lb. pork loin with bones (I use a 2-1/2 lb. boneless roast)
1-1/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 cup white wine vinegar (I used my blog vinegar)
2 cloves garlic
10 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme leaves
salt & pepper

Combine wine, vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme in a nonmetal baking dish just large enough to hold meat. (I used a Ziploc bag. What did we do when we didn't have these wonderful bags! I know put in a nonmetal baking dish just large enough to hold meat!) Put pork in marinade and refrigerate overnight. Turn pork several times until ready to roast. Drain pork and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of marinade over meat and roast 1/2 hour per pound or until thermometer registers 170 degrees. ( I roasted it 2 hours at 325 degrees. The Herbal Husband wants his meat dead and not walking off the plate!) Let sit 15 minutes before carving.

The Herbal Husband said forget the other recipes, this is the one to make! Hopefully I will remember in which book it is! Well, now I have this posting! That works! Hope you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to having a pork sandwich on a nice fresh roll with a lot of the Mayor's Magic Mustard on it! You can get the spice blend for the mustard from The Rosemary House.

No comments: