Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sometimes It's All About the Food!

The First Apple Pie of the Season!
It looks a little over done in the photo (I think The Herbal Husband cranked up the temperature in the oven and I keep forgetting!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!), but our friends, Jim and LaVerne enjoyed it when we went to celebrate Jim's birthday a couple of weeks ago.  It was enjoyed by all.  I had to come home and make another for us.  I use an old Betty Crocker recipe and one teaspoon of apple spice mix from Penzeys.  I use the roll out pie crusts and I know how to do Martha's crusts.  Her recipe for apple pie is one of the best because she uses a combination of apples.  She also makes her pie cold and bakes it hot.  I think that is the best tip.  We have Granny Smith and Liberty apples in our yard. You know now that I finally get the hang of the crust, he would rather have store bought crust!  It drives me nuts, but not to drink! Remember he likes CoolWhip!  Close your ears, Tufa Girl!  Enough said!

My Farmhouse Kitchen with the pumpkin post has inspired fall to arrive.  Her blog was one of the first I spied with an apple pie!  Her blog is just a favorite on my page so I can see the enthusiasm for cooler weather.   Then there was Boston Bee.  She had a big bite of delicious looking pie that her son, Will helped her eat the other day!  Great minds think alike!  Here's to a slice of apple pie or any kind of pie wherever you may be!  It is still going to be in the 90's today!  Yikes!  When will it end?  Hopefully soon.  Talk to you later!

5 comments:

Carol said...

ahhhh... home made pie.... sooooooo yummy!!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Too bad you both can't taste it! Like your new photo, Carol! Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

seanymph said...

Ill be making an apple pie soon. My MIL has apple trees and Im hoping to get there this week for a whole bunch. There will be canned pie filling made and apple butter and apple sauce too. So I figure will all that cutting up of apples I might as well bake the man a pie :)

Julie said...

So, that's the trick? Baking the pie before the apples are cooked. Hmmmm. Love apple pie and must try with the different apples. Where is some now?

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hope you make the apple pie and everything apple that you want! Thanks for stopping by ladies!