Wednesday, November 9, 2016

When A Bit Blue, Make Potpourri and Other Blooming News!

Layering Flowers and Herbs with Paper Towels!
A Whole Box of Herbal Potpourri!
Tiny Hemlock Cones Are Just the Thing for Essential Oil
The Rue Finally Bloomed!
The 'Hot Papaya' Has An Extended Bloom!
Morning Glory Seeds from Chile Are Still Blooming!
The Herbal Husband had a good idea this afternoon.  It was a two fold message!  Clean off your worktable in the basement and make some of your wonderful potpourri in the process.  It will cheer you up!  You see through the summer season, I try to clip herbs and dry them as I go.  We also clip our roses for table bouquets and they land between paper towels.  I had a pile of paper towels and it is like Christmas lifting off the next layer to see what is underneath.  I always find myself saying why didn't I dry more of this and that!  I use hemlock cones to drop some essential oil into the potpourri mix as I give it away. I use two or three at most.  Although it rained overnight, I may try to get some other things clipped before a freeze happens over the weekend.  We really haven't had a good frost yet.  The tomatoes are still growing in the back garden under Reemay!  They are looking a bit done if you ask me, but when it comes to growing stuff, The Herbal Husband is king!

Tomatoes Need to be Picked Before Frost!
So sorry I haven't been such a great blogger at the moment.  I just have been in other directions besides the garden.  And once that jelly burden was over, I just kicked up my heels and did some stitching.  I am just about to finish a piece called The Gardener by Blackbird Designs part of their Garden Club series.  I just have to embellish the hat and add an initial.  The piece is only 4" x 4" so it is very quick to do.

The Gardener
Hope you are having a great day!  It is gray here and maybe will be gray for awhile in the 'Burgh!  I will do my best to finish my England trip and share my favorite herbal Christmas crafts soon!  Oh, and I am going with Bonnie to the first Pittsburgh Tea Festival this Friday, November 11th.  Hopefully, if you are in the Pittsburgh, you can attend too!  Talk to you later.

4 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

HH knows you oh so well to tell you to make potpourri to raise you out of the blues.

Gray skies do tend to make us feel down that's for sure.

Have a good time with your friend on the 11th.

Tomorrow is a new day, may things look brighter for you and you feel joy.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Carol said...

I really do need to start saving my clippings and faded blooms for some good potpourri. Whenever you talk about it I say I'm going to do it but then forget when the season starts. I'm adding it to my phone calendar with weekly reminders for the next season. Perhaps then I'll remember to do it :)Have fun Friday...wish I were closer.

PeggyR said...

Love your ideas. I've been trying to work more with herbs and such. Need to dry more next year...Peggy

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I am going to do a group reply. FL, thanks for your kind words! I do love herbs and to make something from them and it does cheer me up. Yes Carol use whatever means to remind you to clip, clip through the season. Glad you are trying to do more with your herbs PeggyR! xo