Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Still Moving Herbs Around!


I'm always amazed what survives in which places in my herb garden.  This winter savory (Satureja montana) was growing in the patio in the front of the garden.  This is the perennial choice of the savories.  It gets about one foot tall and is very hardy from Zones 5 to 11.  It needs full sun to do well and it has white flowers in late July or August.  Winter savory is the stronger in flavor and is great with soups and stews (Although split the amount you are adding because the flavor doesn't hold up through the stewing process.  Add some at the beginning of cooking and the rest about the last 15 minutes of cooking.) and is also good with beans.  Summer savory is the annual although it reseeds if it likes its spot.  So we decided to move it to the rock wall for this season.  We are definitely getting enough rain for it to survive.  In fact, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning at the moment.  Talk to you later.

7 comments:

Carol said...

I like the look of the savory with the rock wall. I'm in the process of moving some creeping thyme and German thyme to the rock garden at the fish pond. Hope they will like their new home too :)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I hope they like their new home as well, Carol. Thanks for stopping by!

PeggyR said...

The rock wall will look great! I'm finding dill coming up everywhere, so will have to thin it out.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Dill can be a problem, but a good one! I on the other hand have garlic chives in a lot of places! Ugh! Thanks for stopping by, Peggy.

Anonymous said...

I love the combination of the herbs and rock wall. Very lovely.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks Mina! Always trying to change things up!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

It seems my comment for your post got cancelled. I wish I had a problem with dill. I can't seem to get it to seed! Lucky you! Thanks as always for stopping by!