Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Bag Full of Nigella Pods and the Epiphany!

When I was working on my artemisia tree, I discovered a plastic container that had eucalyptus, teasels and these nigella pods.  When I was drying all of my flowers for wreathes, etc. in the good old days, I grew these not only for the pods but for the blue flowers in the garden.  I just love them.  Nigellas are very easy to grow from seeds and Renee's Garden has three different varieties.  Check them out at the link.  I was thinking of using them hot glued on a Styrofoam cone like a Christmas tree?  Will let you know if I do it.  I have cleaned up my work space in the basement so anything is possible!

Epiphany or twelfth night is today.  It is when the three kings arrived to give the baby Jesus their gifts.  In some countries it is the night when gifts are given.  Mrs. Reppert talks of burning some of the essences as a Christmas tradition.  I know her daughters remember it well.  Here is today's quote from Mrs. Reppert's Twelve Month Herbal:

And when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto
Him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.
--- Matthew 2:11

Sorry about the quality of this photo.  It is of the Pittsburgh Creche and it is an exact replica of the Creche at the Vatican and the only replica in the world.  It is in the plaza of the office building where I used to toil in downtown Pittsburgh.  Check the link above for a post I wrote in 2008.

Got my County Gardens magazine with the spread of Sharon Lovejoy's garden!  You know what I'll be doing later on.  Hope you stay warm today.  More snow on the way for us.  It is winter!  Talk to you later.

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

Beautiful post today! ;)Alyssa

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks Alyssa!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, indeed! LVL - we may have snow here next week. High on Wednesday is supposed to be 34 - brrrrrrr.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Wow, TG! Get those boots out! Hope the forecasters are off!

Carla said...

In India nigella sativa seeds are used in many recipes, on flatbreads, etc. Wish I had that basket!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I actually have the seeds in the kitchen that I bought in England. I need to practice my bread making! Thanks for stopping by Carla!