Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Favorite Seed Catalogs for Herbs

My master gardening friend, Shelley, thought that it was about thyme (sorry just had to) that I talked about my favorite seed catalogs.  It is prime time for ordering herb seeds, vegetable or flower seeds.   Here are six of my favorite catalogs.  Some of their websites are under my favorites list on the right.

Johnny's Selected Seeds from Maine-a perennial favorite of mine
Richters from Canada-I am going for a visit some day soon to buy plants!
John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds from Connecticut-Haven't ordered from them, but it is just a matter of time.
Pinetree Garden Seeds from Maine-Have ordered vegetable, flower and herb seeds from this company.  Very reasonable prices.
Nichols Garden Nursery from Oregon-Have ordered vegetable, flower and herb seeds from this company.  Very unusual varieties.
Territorial Seed Company from Oregon-Have ordered vegetable, flower and herb seeds from this company.

There are a couple of websites that I want to highlight that are on my favorites list, Renee's Garden.  Renee's have our favorite flat bean called 'Musica' and Hometown Seeds.  Haven't ordered from this company, but I'm looking forward to ordering soon.  There are lots of herbs and herbal flowers that are really easy to grow from seed.  They include calendula, nasturtiums, dianthus, borage, dill, cilantro, parsley, basil, anise hyssop, chamomile, chives, fennel, feverfew, salad burnet, summer savory, stevia and more that I can't think of at the moment!  This is just a fraction of the possibilities, but I hope that I have given you some ideas that you haven't explored!  What's your favorite seed catalog or website?

Hope you had a great day.  It's snowing again here.  Went to Miss C's Science Fair and I will have the results for you tomorrow.  Talk to you later.  The quote of the day is from Mrs. Reppert's TwelveMonth Herbal:

Who loves a garden,
Still his Eden keeps;
Perennial pleasures plants,
Wholesome harvests reaps.
--Amos Bronson Alcott

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You listed the places that I enjoy ordering from... the thing is .... most of my herbs, except basil.... are perinnals and I don't need to be ordering any more seeds..... I should probably be getting ready to toss some "old" seeds in the garden and see what happens.... Feb 14 is a good time for us to "start" - that is if we missed the Oct Nov toss...
Thyme's awastin'

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

I enjoy Richters, as they have some amazing varieties. I still receive Burgess catalogs, but the technicolor pictures terrify me!

I've been trying to buy all of my seeds locally, so I know they are hearty enough to live on these clay mountains of Western North Carolina! I try to find local seedshares or small companies with heirloom varieties. :)

It makes me yearn for spring!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! For years we have ordered from another source and last year we were quite disappointed in their selection and service.

I am eager to look into your recommendations.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I think everyone has their version of the old seed toss, Mimi!

Amber, I have never heard of a Burgess catalog! Maybe it's just as well!

Hope some of my recommendations work for you, Mina!

Thanks ladies for stopping by!

LindaM said...

I know I'm late on this, but I really liked Lingles. They don't sell seeds but starts, which arrived healthy and thrived. They also have an amazing variety. I will check out your favorites to see if I can manage to start from seed some day.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hi Linda,

Don't worry about being late. I have seen Lingle's in my Google searches. Will have to check them out. Thanks for your comment.