Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Little Knot Garden Gone Wry Again!

I will be experimenting with my little patch I call my knot garden within my herb garden.  Now that we have had rain for several days, my herb garden has grown up!  It's a wild thing!  I did prune and trim it back and here are several photos with comments.
This is a sage 'Nazareth'.  I really liked it because it was a silver contrast in this section of the garden.  Now it is too big and you can't see it very easily here, but it is mostly new foliage is green!  You say it's bigger and that's a bad thing, Lemon Verbena Lady?  Well, I was trying to keep plants smaller!  So much for that experiment!
This is a Provencal Thyme, Thymus vulgaris 'Provencal'.   It has become a favorite of mine.  It is an upright thyme and lots of thymes are creeping.  This one also has tiny pink flowers now!   I think unusual for a thyme especially because we are still having cold nights like this morning and tomorrow morning is going to be cold.  I got my Provencal thyme at Mulberry Creek Herb Farm.  Unfortunately, they are not doing any more mail order, but if you are in the Huron, Ohio area and Cedar Point, you should definitely check out their farm.  They are open March 16-July 31, Tuesday-Saturday, 10-5 PM and open Sundays in May only 1-5 PM.  Their annual Herbfair will feature a Japanese theme this year.  It will be held Saturday, June 26 from 10 AM to 5 PM and Sunday June 27 from Noon to 5 PM.  Admission is $5.00 per adult (includes 1 free herb) (Kids are free and so are classes.)  They have lots of vendors with herbal themes.
It looked like I had lost my curry plants Helichrysum italicum (angustifolia).  When I trimmed back the dried and dead stems, they were still alive!  Very exciting!  Here is one of the plants after I finished.
I was hoping to get this post up this morning.  It didn't happen Blogger was playing with my photo upload feature.  So looking forward to warmer weather!  Can't wait to plant!  Moving some herbal titans tomorrow!  Stay tuned!

No comments: