Saturday, March 19, 2011

Young and Old, Herbally Speaking!

There is a lot to talk about in this photo from 19 years ago, but focus on the right side of the photo.  This is a photo of our young bay tree.  I'm thinking because bay trees are so expensive and small in the beginning that this is a two year tree.  1990 is when I started my herb garden.  So our bay tree is 21 years old!  Break out the bay rum!  Sorry I had to do it!  Actually I need to make the aftershave bay rum for you know who!  Something else for my herbal list.  Didn't get a lot of my herbal list accomplished this winter that's almost OVER!  It is not a complicated process, but I need to get my workspace put back together.  Was too exhausted yesterday!  So here is our bay tree as of yesterday.  It is a bear to get in and out, but it is very fragrant and worth the hassles.  Much cooler today.  Was hoping to get outside and dig some things out of the herb garden, but it might have to wait.  Got to work on my workspace!  Talk to you later.

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love my bay tree. I'm not sure how old it is now. I bought it as a 6" rooted sprig, many, many years ago. I'm pretty sure it's over 20 years old. Yours looks wonderful! What do you feed it? Mine is also in a pot, and it might need repotting.

Happy Spring and Happy Gardening,

FlowerLady

Carol said...

It's beautiful! My bay tree looks like the first picture and it is 2 years old. So I have a while before it gets to be a pain to move in and out of the house.

Anonymous said...

Oh how it has grown! I wish I had a bay tree.

Cindy said...

Beautiful bay tree. Mine is only a couple of years old - I hope it lasts as long as yours!

Pat said...

Your bay tree is stunning!!
I have had the typical run with efforts over the years...that nasty little scale problem mostly.
You have truly achieved the summit in gardening - Well Done!!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

FlowerLady, The Herbal Husband tells me that he uses 10-10-10 or Osmokote (sp?) in summer only once a month. I would also try fish emulsion/seaweed combo because it is more organic since you use the leaves for flavor and the fertilizer collects in those leaves. The Herbal Husband is used to chemical fertilizers living in Peru. I grew up in the 50's so while I would use organics first, sometimes chemicals work!

We have another bay TO that is not nearly as beautiful as this one and it has scale issues. I keep it away from this one because I don't want this one to get infected! This one is in the basement and the other one is in our living room.

Thanks for your comments ladies!