Monday, March 7, 2011

OK, Couldn't Stay Away! Making Herbal Butter!

Hi, just wanted to come by and show you that the chives are up and growing in the herb garden.  I needed some this morning when I made the herbal butters for tomorrow's class.  They are going to try a butter with my favorite butter dried mix (second and third photos) from The Village Herb Shop.  I truly sprinkle it on mayo in a sandwich to give it an herbal boost.  It is a very delicious mix.  I think dill based.  Then they will try a fresh herb butter (the bottom photo) and here is the recipe:

Herbal Butter
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter or margarine, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped (your choice)
• 1 clove of garlic, pressed
1. Finely chop herbs and mix into softened butter, add other ingredients.  Put in a covered container.  Refrigerate for 24 hours before using.
2. Herb butter may be kept refrigerated for two weeks or frozen for up to six months.  Put butter on vegetables, pasta, fish, meat, poultry, bread, etc.
Courtesy of  Pete Louquet, Tom Hamlin and Don Haynie, Spring and Summer Herbal Sampler, Raphine, VA:  Mid Valley Press, 1993, page 10.

The nice thing is that you can make it with or without the garlic.  I'm making it for tomorrow's class without the garlic.  I think they will enjoy and you will as well.  Got to run.  Hope you are having a great day!  I'll talk to you tomorrow after my talk!

10 comments:

Carol said...

Love herb butter on hot fresh dinner rolls! So yummy I can almost make a meal out of them...ok so I can make a meal out of them and eat til I "POP" :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this!

Jules@MoonCatFarms said...

YUM! I made some bread yesterday that is now crying out for this butter.

I can always count on you to have something fantastic to make my mouth water :)

Deb from Peterman Brook Herb Farm said...

They are so simple to make and there are so many ways to use herbal butter. I recall the very first time I made it, I went crazy with the herbs and could barely eat it! I have since learned that more is not always better!

Penny Watson said...

This looks great! I have made herb butter with fresh herbs for corn on the cob. Yum!

Guess what! The snow is finally melting in New England, the bulb tips are just starting to show, and I saw my first tease of green today....a green lemon balm leaf at the base of my plant! Yay! I thought of you right away....

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I know Carol and Jules, bread and butter! Delish!

I hope you enjoy it Loretta!

Deb, I can get really carry away when the garden is going full tilt!

Hi Penny, so happy that you are seeing sprouts! I have a photo on my storyboard. You'll see it shortly. Corn on the cob with herb butter! Can't get much better in the summer!

Thanks ladies for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Herb butter is one of my favorite things! Thank you so much for this recipe.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

You are so welcome, dear Mina!

Sharon said...

I have been to the herb farm in Raphine, VA, a number of times. I can't remember the name of it now.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

It's Buffalo Springs Herb Farm, Sharon and it was wonderful and it's closed now. :{