Monday, August 20, 2012

Whatever Their Names Might Be They Are Still Sunflowers!

Planted by the Birds or by the Chipmunks
Planted with Seeds Purchased from Renee's Garden
Whether the birds or chipmunks planted the top sunflower, I'm not sure but we enjoy the goldfinches this time of year coming to pick off the seeds.
Goldfinch Working on Picking Seeds from Volunteer Sunflower
The dark sunflower in the second photo is from Renee's Garden and I think it is called 'Moulin Rouge.'  It might be 'Chocolate' though.  We didn't make a map after we planted them.  We did stick sticks into the ground with names on them, but they can get moved about as they grow.  I might just have to send this photo to Renee for a decision!  Any way we love them whatever their names might be.  Remember sunflower petals are edible.  You can cook the buds like artichokes, but then you won't have any flowers.  Just eat the petals.  Got to get my post set up for The Herb Companion.  Beautiful day here in the 'Burgh!  Have a great day!  Talk to you later!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you could eat sunflower petals. I really like it when something unexpected appears in the garden courtesy of the wildlife.

Barbara said...

The birds do love to plant those seeds don't they. All we have to do is let them grow up.

Rosemary said...

Sunflowers simply make me smile!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Surprising isn't it, Tracey. I was surprised as well when I read it. The squirrels do as well, Barbara. I know Rosemary, sunflowers are one of my favorites. Thanks ladies for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I love the Chocolate Sunflower! I am an Autumn person and anything in the brown/beige/green/ category is a favourite.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks TE for stopping by! I enjoy autumn as well. Cooler temps but still sunny! Thanks for stopping by! xxoo Nancy