Sunday, January 13, 2013

Herbal Containers A Go Go!

The Avocado Tree
The Mini Evergreens in a Trough
Prostrate Rosemary
'Goodwin Creek' Lavender
Well, maybe not all are herbal containers.  The avocado has come back from the dead (I didn't water it while The Herbal Husband was away in Peru!) and other instances.  The mini evergreens in the trough has made it several seasons and it could stay out through the winter, but I haven't convinced The Herbal Husband.  The 'Goodwin Creek' lavender has been in the container for two or three seasons.  We actually plant it and then dig it up.  There has to be an easier way.  We also have mama peppermint scented geranium and her offspring!  Below is an earlier photo of mama.  Her leaves are becoming yellow from the lack of sun, but I think the plant will hang in there until we can get it back outside in the real spring.  Yikes, I writing like she's alive!  Well, she is!
Mama Peppermint Scented Geranium

We always have a bunch of herbal containers and others hanging on.  I mean that literally.  The Herbal Husband rescued a plant from the neighbor's trash and sometimes he is very successful in reviving them and sometimes not.  He said to me yesterday looking at the hanging basket that had a dead plant in it. (Insert Spanish accent here.)  "I don't even know what this is!"  Honestly I can't make this stuff up!  I think sometimes we could be used as a "Modern Family" storyline.  I got an hour's worth of walking outside, because it is just so gosh darn beautiful out there.  It is all going to come to an end later today and we will go back to winter tomorrow.  Hope you are having a great day wherever you may be.  Talk to you later.

7 comments:

Faith said...

I did finally get to start an avocado..:) yours has a nice bushy look to it. Lemon Verbena in the pot dug up from the garden is overwintering in the basement and still has a few green leaves. My
scented geranium looks dead...but when I gently tug on it there is give, so I'm hoping it's still alive, it smells wonderful lavender and rose...mmmmm should I water it?

Carol said...

I don't have as many pots brought in this year as normal. Lost a lot last year to heat and drought. So we don't have quite the jungle indoors as usual.

Pat said...

My own pots could be called the ICU - most are on life support but holding their own. Yours look look really strong! The best luck I have had is with an azalea my Mom gave me about 5 Easters ago. It spends our short summers outside on the shady side of our porch & then comes in for the long winter. It blooms every Fall right before Thanksgiving


Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Yes, Faith, our avocado was very stick like for awhile. Yes, you need to water your verbena and scented geranium about every week or 10 days.

I wish we didn't bring in so many pots, Carol! It takes so much time to water them. I always say we are going to limit them and it somehow never happens!

Thanks ladies for stopping by. xxoo LVL

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Winter has just started, TO! Our pots can be great looking and then two weeks before they are to go outside, they tank! I like the azalea story. It is a remembrance plant. I love those. xxoo LVL

Faith said...

thank you, I had been watering it but then wondered if I should..Looking forward to seeing the fresh green little sprigs from my scented geranium, it smells so pretty.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

You're welcome, Faith. I hope you do have little green sprouts shortly! xxoo LVL