Sunday, January 6, 2013

R.I.P. Dottie!

February, 2010 Snowstorm
Don't want you to think that this is our landscape at the moment.  This is the February 2010 snowstorm.  I am using this photo because my cousin, Dottie passed away on Friday.  My family isn't that big and the first cousins are going down like big trees!  My Aunt Wilma's children are gone in the space of seven months!  Dottie used to live in Jamestown, NY known for its big snows.  It was a sudden death, a heart attack.  She died peacefully.  Dottie was independent even as a child.  My favorite story about her was that on Easter one year, she really wanted to ride the neighbor's horse and her mother said it would mess up her dress.  So she went against my aunt's wishes and went to the neighbor's got their horse and rode it down past my aunt who was doing dishes in the kitchen.  All she could see was Dottie's head moving up and down because the window was elevated and my aunt couldn't see the horse, but she wasn't happy!  Hope you have a good visual in your mind!  She was a pistol in the best way!  Will miss you, Dottie!  She got to ride lots of horses as an adult.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to her four daughters and their families and her beloved husband, Bob.  I will leave you with my favorite poem.
 
Miss Me -- But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road
  and the sun has set for me.
I want no rites in a gloom filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me a little -- but not too long
and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that was once shared
Miss me -- but let me go.
For this is a journey we must all take
and each must go alone.
It is all a part of the Master's plan
a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss me -- but let me go.
                                                                                    Author Unknown
Going to warm up this week.  Will be able to see the garden by the end of this week.  Hope you are having a great day.  Talk to you later.

5 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear LVL ~ I am so sorry for the loss of your Aunt Dottie.

I loved that poem you shared at the end. Really nice.

Love and hugs to you and HH.

FlowerLady Lorraine

P.S. I enjoyed more of your delicious Spicy Basil Apple jelly this morning with breakfast. :-)

Carol said...

Sorry for your loss! It sounds like you have a lot of wonderful memories of her and she sounds like a very fun lady!
Beautiful poem♥

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies. Glad you are enjoying the jelly, FL! I wanted to share the poem when DH passed thought it would be a good one to share with everyone. xxoo Nancy

Sharon said...

Loved that story about Dottie! Yes, I did have quite a visual.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

She was a fun lady and fortunately got to ride horses for a good part of her life. Thanks for stopping by. xxoo Nancy