Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Alfred de Dalmas I Hardly Know You!

One of my favorite roses is blooming in my garden. I thought until this moment that it was an 'Alfred de Dalmas'. If you look at the Heirloom Roses website, you may agree with me that I don't have 'Alfred'. It said it's a repeat bloomer and disease resistant! It is neither of those.
It is a beautiful flower though and has a wonderful fragrance. I'm going to dry some petals and add them to my tea blends. Remember all roses that aren't chemically treated are edible. I just would not eat florists' roses because they are from other countries which may use chemicals. I'll have to do a little research and let you know what I think it might be. If you have any ideas on what this rose might be, I would love to hear from you!

4 comments:

Comfrey Cottages said...

oh i dont know what kind of rose it is, but i do love its color! does it have much fragrance? cool idea to harvest the petals for various things, no use letting them just fall to the ground. it is always a bit startling when we realized, a preconceived idea or notion we have, is proved wrong!lol i have a foundling female kitty named rose, and since she is small, i guess i just assumed she was youngish. i was shocked when i took her to the vet and he pronounced her an old lady! actually took me a few days to wrap my head around the fact that i probably wouldn't get to cuddle her for as many years as i first thought! schools out, so not here as often, but will try to keep up with your busting out, blooming 1000 plants!lol when is your first garden event due for your gardens? big hugs :)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

It has a very subtle fragrance. I don't use them as often as I should. They do fall to the ground quickly and we are having a very cool day today so more may fall before I can get to them. This particular rose blossom collapses quickly. I need to get a speech written for a garden group I'm speaking with next week. Well, cuddle Rose quick and those kiddos too! My first event is July 17th so I have time! It will be here before I'm ready! A big hug for you dear! ;>}

Comfrey Cottages said...

oh july 17th does give you plenty of time. good luck with your speech for next week. your rose is just lovely and i gave my rose a hug and cuddle from you too!lol and sending another hug to you!:)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

The only kind of cuddle I can give your Rose is a long distance one! LOL! Thanks for your support! A big hug! ;>}