Monday, August 22, 2011

A New Favorite Basil!

Since we were away so much this summer, we didn't buy a lot of herbs like usual.  I found several sweet basils at the nursery and one 'Siam Queen', a spicier version with an anise flavor.  It is nicely ornamental with purple flowers and one of the leaf stems is variegated.  Usually variegation comes from a virus, a good one not a bad one, I think.  'Siam Queen' has added an interesting note to our tomato, feta, olive and basil salads sort of a Greek caprese salad.  The Herb Companion had a great article on the original Italian caprese salad in the last issue.  Hope you enjoy it.  It was a beautiful day in the 'Burgh and I was sitting in Home Depot trying to get my door order straightened out!  Ugh!  That's all I have about that!  Hope you had a great day!  Talk to you later!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting fact about variegation with the basils...this year I have tried "Round Midnight" from Cook's Garden catalogue...have a nice row of deep purple basil plants with one right in the middle...bright green leaves and purple splotches...Was wondering how that happened.
Thank you for sharing - I always learn so much from you!!

Penny Watson said...

That's a great variety! Try wrapping up shrimp in that basil and some pancetta, squeezing with a bit of lime juice, and grilling it. Yum!

PeggyR said...

I love basil and the recipe above about wrapping shrimp in it sounds wonderful.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Well, TO, I hope I'm right about the virus thing. I think I am. Didn't have enough time to grow seeds this year.:( There is always next year!

That shrimp recipe sounds tasty, Penny.

You'll have to try it as well, Peggy.

Thanks ladies for stopping by as always.