Monday, September 12, 2011

The Only Way to Plant Mint!

Fortunately, this silver mint (Mentha longifolia) has come back from the dead.  It wasn't watered enough while we were gone.  Mints are survivors usually, but you never know.  You need to plant mints in containers.  I don't heed my own words, but you should!  Plant them in a 12" or bigger pot about three inches down from the lip of the pot.  Also you can line the bottom with landscape fabric so the roots don't creep out and plant themselves in the ground or patio!  I have several plants that are planted in the patio and need to come out before they take over the garden!  I think that's my new mantra!   Congratulations to Sam Stosur on winning the U.S. Open tennis tournament!  She played very well!  Looking forward to Nadal and Djokovic in a little while.  Hope you had a great day.  Talk to you later.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have trouble keeping my mint alive. Too hot and dry here in the summer. One house I had it along the flagstones to the front steps. Wonderful fragrance when I got home. (The flagstones seemed to keep the soil cooler and save a little moisture.)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

It does work really well in and around flagstones, TG! What a torturous summer it has been for you'll in Texas!

Carol said...

I have my mint in concrete containers...that is the ones I have planted. The back woods are full of mint from the previous owner. When Bob mows back there it smells sooooo good :)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Mint does smell good when it's mowed, Carol. I have a lot of mint in the ground and when I mow it smells great as well. Thanks for stopping by!