Monday, May 10, 2010

A Favorite Herbal Flower, Tussie Mussies and Happy Birthday 90th, Roz!

Here is one of my favorite herbal flowers, Dianthus 'Tiny Rubies'.  They come and go so quickly that I wanted to use them in my 90th's birthday tussie mussie over the weekend.  I ended up using the only larger Dianthus I had in bloom.  It worked out well.

A tussie mussie is usually centered by a rose or other significant flower.  Rose means love and gentle; dianthus for mother's love; lemon balm for memories; lemon verbena means enchantment; oregano means joy and happiness; sage for a long life (that has happened) and good health (for the most part that is also true); mint for wisdom and lavender for devotion and, finally, rosemary for remembrance.   There is also a piece of 'Silver King' artemisia for contrast.  It doesn't have a meaning.  Maybe it should be just for Roz!  So here's to you, Roz!  Happy 90th!  May you have many beautiful days to come.

2 comments:

Daricia said...

I love tussie mussies! I'm glad you mentioned that tiny dianthus. I will have to look for it.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I hope you can find it in Charlotte, Daricia. It is a real gem. Thanks for stopping by!