Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Jasmine Needed Help!


We have mostly put together wooden arbors for our garden.  Eventually they rot.  We had a metal arbor (and I use that term loosely) that was adequate, but it finally collapsed under the weight of a 2' snowstorm and a very healthy jasmine vine!  This arbor is sturdy and beautiful and easy to put together.  We purchased it from Plow and Hearth.  I have purchased items for our garden for many years from them and have always been pleased.  They were sold earlier this year and unlike Smith & Hawkin, they have managed to stay in business.  The other good thing about the assembly was there were no Spanish words screamed or uttered while we were putting it together!  Always a good thing!  Trust me!  Here is the finished arbor.
The dark opening in the center is the back gate.  The jasmine is just about to start blooming little pink flowers.  I'm going to dry some for tea.  It is hardy for our area which is Zone 6 on a good day and Zone 5 in a very cold winter.  I purchased it from Well-Sweep Herb Farm.  If you are in northern New Jersey this summer, check out their farm.  They are family-owned herb farm.  Cy, Louise and their son, David Hyde do a wonderful job with display gardens, a very nice gift shop and lots of unusual plants, herbs, perennials and annuals.

The only other problem is we can't open the back gate!  It opens in and the only slat by the door handle hits the curve in the arbor!  Ooops!  There weren't even Spanish words then!  So once that slat is taken down to size, it will be great!  One more project on The Herbal Husband's list!  Hope you are having a great day.  I forgot to take a photo of my Cheep Room.  Hopefully over the weekend!  Have a great day wherever you are!  Talk to you later.

5 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Love that arbor and it looks easy. I'm gonna check them out.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That is a lovely arbor. I've not heard of pink flowering jasmine before and I bet it is beautiful.

You mentioned drying some of the blooms for tea so I thought I'd ask you about doing that. I have Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' and read that you can make tea from the blooms. I'd be interested in trying it. These blooms are wonderfully scented.

Thank you for any info.

FlowerLady

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

It was more than we wanted to pay, Becca, but in the end it was worth it. It was very easy to put together. Hope you find something you can use.

Yes, FlowerLady, I would just dry them between paper towels. You may even get scented paper towels out of the drying process! I don't think you need to get into a dehydrator. I think a microwave is too intense. The flowers will not be too pretty, but I think it is the easiest way to do it. Thanks for stopping by ladies.

Carla said...

That is a nice arbor. I need to purchase a new one for one of my roses. I keep putting it off as it is blooming now, but this looks like a nice one. Thanks for posting the link.
Carla

Jules@MoonCatFarms said...

I love the Plow and Hearth catalog. I've also purchased many things from them over the years. This trellis looks like it will do the trick for that jasmine.