Wednesday, June 13, 2012

R.I.P.

My cousin, Jack, passed away over the weekend.  He lived to 82 and for the last six years had emphysema (maybe longer) so he was on oxygen 24/7.  That was sad enough but to also learn that his house that he and his family had lived since 1969 was heavily damaged by fire in late May was really devastating to take.  His memorial service was today in northern Pennsylvania.  I just couldn't bring myself to go.  Every family funeral I have been to recently I have been brought back to when my father was killed in an accident and my mother didn't take me to say goodbye.  I should probably be over it by now (over 50 years ago), but it was and still is devastating.  I want to share with you and my family a poem that was read at my mother's funeral.

Miss Me -- But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road
  and the sun has set for me.
I want no rites in a gloom filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me a little -- but not too long
and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that was once shared
Miss me -- but let me go.
For this is a journey we must all take
and each must go alone.
It is all a part of the Master's plan
a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss me -- but let me go.

                                                                                    Author Unknown

Rest in peace, Jack.  My love, thoughts and prayers are with his sister and his family.  I will talk to you later.

7 comments:

Penny Watson said...

So sorry to hear this. Thank you for the lovely poem.

Ginny said...

My thoughts are with you.

Kay's flowers said...

So sorry for your loss. The poem really spoke to me. May your memories of him stay with you and make you smile.

Leanne said...

(((HUGS))) Beautiful poem _I'm tucking this one away.

PeggyR said...

I was sorry to hear the news. The poem is a keeper!

Carol said...

What a beautiful poem! My thoughts are with you at this time of your loss...saying goodbye is a personal experience and everyone has their own way of doing it. Respecting your feeling and doing what is right for you is all that counts at this time.

Rosemary said...

So very sorry for your loss. Beautiful sentimets expressed in the poem.