Sunday, June 24, 2012

Is It a Comma or a Question Mark?


This little guy or girl didn't stay around long enough for me to get a great photo!  I do know this much that it is an angled-winged butterfly.  My National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies says, "They have sharply angled, somewhat irregular wings.  When the wings are folded at rest, the drab undersides resemble leaves or pieces of bark, making them difficult to see.  The undersides tend to be somewhat brighter shades of orange and rust-brown.  This group includes angelwings, tortoiseshells, commas and question marks, as well as leafwings, snouts and daggerwings."  It is definitely this group.  I just will hope that we get another visit before the end of the growing season!  We have had some outstanding insects this season already and we have just started summer!  Finally, got our tomatoes planted!  I guess it is never too late.  Hopefully, you have had a great day.  Going to be slightly cooler tomorrow and Tuesday before the heat comes back.  Talk to you later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Making them difficult to see.' They are not wrong there. When I first looked at the pic I confess I wondered what you were on about! Excellent protection though, being able to blend in like that. I like the irregular shaped wings.

Cindy in FW said...

I think it is a Question Mark. I have had quite a few in the loft garden this year (thankfully we have had no fires to shew them away). They are very hard to photograph, they seem to have excellent vision and flutter away when I get within 5 feet.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Oh, sorry, Tracey, but I was trying to be obtuse! LOL! Thanks as always for stopping by. xxoo Nancy

Thanks Cindy. It was so quick I didn't get to see the inside. xxoo Nancy