Sunday, December 12, 2010

Last Minute Salad Burnet!

Can you believe The Herbal Husband just went out and cut this salad burnet  just now before the rain and snow hits tomorrow!  Remember salad burnet gives you the flavor of cucumber in your salads.  I'll use it fresh or maybe put it in some vinegar.  Hope the weather is not too bad where you live today!  It's going to be interesting.  A little bit of everything!  Talk to you later!

Later in the day.  I just wanted to say that salad burnet (Sanguisorba minor) is an all season herb.  It comes up early in the spring and it is just finished in our garden (mid December!)  It is up to two feet tall and is hardy from Zones 4 to 8.  Having said that, it is not reliably hardy for me.  It does self seed, but never to the invasive point.  I usually can find a plant or two at my favorite herb farm in Ohio.  You can also easily start seeds indoors or plant directly outdoors in spring.  Johnny's Selected Seeds is one of my favorite sources for seeds of all kinds.  Very reliable company from Maine.

9 comments:

Alyssa said...

Better late than never, right?! I can't believe it is that tie of year again...Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow! Stick with me through February and March! lol ;)Alyssa

Martha said...

One of my favorite herbs!

Unknown said...

The picture makes my mouth water! We adore salad burnett at our house. It is always a little bittersweet to harvest the last leaves of it. We never seem to have enough of it nor for long enough. Its extremely wet here in my area but balmy warm for December (near 60 F). I wish it would either decide to be winter and let the garden sleep.

Carol said...

Winter has arrived here with winds and snow. I'm at my son's house and the granddaughters are loving it! Lots of sledding already.Unfortunately the snow is too dry for a snowman.

Anonymous said...

I would like a Herbal Husband! I have never heard of this herb...I learn so much from you my friend...my herb mentor!!

PeggyR said...

Herbal husband sounds like he's a cool "cat"...

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks for all of your comments, ladies! FF, you need to check out Johnny's Selected Seeds. I usually can find a plant at my favorite herb farm in Ohio, but I think that it is easily started from seed. I love it because I can't eat cucumbers, but this gives a little bit cucumber flavor. It hasn't started to snow here yet! It's coming though!

Pat said...

We had salad burnet at our old house - purchased a little starter plant...must do that again for Spring. What a nice find in the garden for you.
There are some leftover snowflakes from the 12" of snow we received over the weekend...I am sending them along to you. Trying not to include the high winds though as you don't want the drifts we have!
Stay warm and have a good week.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hi TO, We are having your leftover snowflakes at the moment and some wind! The drifts won't be as big! Hope you don't lose power! Have a good week as well!