Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cicada Update!


I wanted to do an update for Little Messy Missy about cicada because she has never heard or seen them.  Here, Missy, is a link from a website called Cicada Mania.  I also want to give you an extension website because I'm a master gardener and we just want to give you an educational site to peruse.  Here is the Colorado State Extension site on cicadas.  I actually heard them singing when I was out in the garden today.  Most of the time I don't pay attention to them.  They really don't do damage.  They are loud, but not seen.  Somewhat like kids!  I guess they are loud and seen!  I wanted to update this post because Peggy R. reminded me that the periodic cicadas can cause damage to young trees.  They appear every 17 to 19 years and you do want to protect newly planted trees if you have any.  Oh, well, still hot and icky here.  Hope you are staying cool wherever you may be.  Having our friends Jim and LaVerne over for a visit.

Almost forgot to tell you my friend, Kathleen's article was in the New York Times not the Wall Street Journal.  If I had a brain I would be dangerous!  Here is a link to Making Tea from Plants Grown in the Backyard.  Congratulations, Kathleen!  You have hit the big time!

4 comments:

PeggyR said...

Hmm the cicadas here do damage to the trees! If you see end of branches that are dead hanging from trees those are from cicadas.

Carol said...

I briefly listened to the cicadas tonight while watering the potted plants on the deck. Between them and the birds settling in for the evening it was very pleasant.... well except for that 96º temp and 99% humidity... I didn't stay out very long at all.

taylorsoutback said...

Cicada's - haven't thought about them in years! Grew up in Virginia and can remember their noisy cycles...but here in northern Wisconsin, they are not present. Our little frogs make up for it though - spring peepers around our pond at night can be deafening!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks for reminding me Peggy that some cicadas really do do damage.

They were really loud today, Carol.

Lucky you, Pat. I have spring peepers and they can be deafening as I remember.

Thanks for stopping by, ladies.