Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To Mulch or Not to Mulch? That is the Question!

The Lime Thyme Did Well
The Lavender Thyme Did Well As Well
So Did the Golden Sage and Berggarten Sage
The Compact Sage is in Decline in this Bed
Well, as all of you know, I garden with The Herbal Husband.  He, of course, has his own rules on gardening.  We butt heads ALL of the time.  He always asks my opinion and, of course, does his own thing in the end.  It doesn't matter where they were born, ladies, men are the same just with an accent!  And I say that in the nicest way possible, really I do.  Back to the subject, to mulch or not to mulch particularly thymes and sages.  My opinion is that once we get snow and it stays on the ground and gets cold enough, it becomes an insulator.  Leaves on the other hand can collect around the crown of the plant and rot the crown.  So as you see in these photos, The Herbal Husband has buried my thymes and sages and I have tried to move the leaves away so they can have drainage and still have some protection.  The same with the sages.  He buried them.  I'm exposing them just enough that they won't rot, but hopefully so they will survive.  We have had temperature swings, but it looks like we are going to be more seasonal in the 30's and 40's through the holidays with some snow.  So hope you are having a great day.  I will talk to you later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mulch, and luckily things usually survive.

Unknown said...

All those herbs mentioned rot in my garden if I mulch them. The lavender (that is the best I ever have) are in a bed that is mulched with crushed granite. Of course, I do not have to deal with snow (well, one or two days, maybe).

I am no help....

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I'm with you, Tracey. The Herbal Husband will just have to pay up in the spring if I have to buy new plants!

I agree completely TG. We may not have much snow this year either. We are going to get some in the next couple of weeks. I would rather like Tracey not mulch. So it may be pay up time for HH come spring.

Thanks as always ladies for stopping by. xxoo Nancy