Friday, August 27, 2010

A Beautiful Morning in the Garden!

Volunteer Sunflower Blooming Wildly!
I'm not in the garden as often as I would like this time of year.  The harvesting of berries, herbs and veggies has begun.  I just finished a batch of raspberry jam.  The second harvest has begun, but we aren't getting enough rain.  Unless The Herbal Husband waters, I may not be making too much more raspberry jam.  Here is a volunteer sunflower hiding the bird feeder in the shape of a sunflower!  I know confusing!

Four O'Clocks That Can't Tell Time!
The four o'clocks that don't know what time it is!  It was about 10:00 AM.  We have all yellows this year.  And more sunflowers.  I think The Herbal Husband planted these along our back fence.  Hope you are having a great day.  The celebrating continues with a movie, Get Low with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray among others.  I think a quirky little movie and my free burger at Red Robin.  Talk to you later!
One of My Favorite Sunflowers!
Sunflower Peeking Out From Morning Glories!

7 comments:

Terra said...

This was fun to visit your garden and see your volunteer sunflowers. How wonderful to make raspberry jam. We have blackberries but just eat them as fresh fruit.

Sincerely, Emily said...

hi - oh my mouth is drooling....raspberries. Do you have your own bushes or are you just strolling down the country lane grazing (and picking for jelly) as you go? I would like to plant some raspberries this fall/winter/spring (whenever the right time is to plant them). I live 30 miles north of San Antonio - just starting into the hill country, so I think what works for you would work for me too. If you have a bush that working for you, would you mind sharing its name?

Enjoy your raspberry jelly.
Emily

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Blackberries are excellent, Terra. Love to eat fresh fruit in the morning!

No, Emily, I think once upon a time we wanted to be on a country lane, but we are in the middle of suburbia! Heritage is the name of the bush, but I Googled raspberries for Texas and came up with this extension website.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruitgarden/fruitvariety.html

It says that raspberries are not impossible but they do take some effort. Check that website out before you plant any thing!

Thanks for stopping by ladies!

Carol said...

Love your sunflowers!!! Always one of my most favorites flowers. Mine didn't do so well this year...but love the few I have.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Our volunteers did the best, Carol. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Next to daisies, sunflowers are my favorites! Love the color of yours! Have a great Sunday!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

They are our favorites around here! Thanks for stopping by, Donna