Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Always an Herbal Surprise!

The Third Year Lemon Verbena Has Returned in This Spot!
The Herbal Husband is really my eyes and ears in the garden.  He has selective hearing though!  He mentioned that this lemon verbena is back for its third season from the root!  It does not happen in the western Pennsylvania most of the time!  We always take one in for the winter.  You have seen my other two and they will probably be too large by the end of the season to bring them in.  Well, if I cut them back and use the leaves for bread, tea or potpourri!  Busy, busy!  Lots to do!  I didn't get the pie made yesterday.  I did make two batches of cinnamon basil jelly and I cut just enough from the plants for two recipes!  Here is a picture of the leaves and flowers:

Enough leaves for two batches of scented basil jelly!
Here is the recipe for the scented basil jelly if you haven't seen it before.  It is a Renee Shepherd favorite of mine.  Hope you have a cool day wherever you are.  We have the intense ickies and stickies here!  Off to have an adventure with The Herbal Husband!  Talk to you later!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you use the flowers when making the jelly?

PeggyR said...

That is exciting about the lemon verbena. I always take ours in also.

Carla said...

Oh, I am going to make this jelly. I think this would be good with some lemon poppyseed scones.

Carla

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

No TG, I don't usually use the flowers for the jelly. I do put them in salad and it could be a fruit salad as well as green salad.

Yes, I'm always amazed when it comes from the ground, Peggy. It usually doesn't.

Yes, Carla, very easy. Very delicious. One of my favorite flavors I make. Lemon basil is equally good.

Thanks ladies for stopping by!

Comfrey Cottages said...

amazing that the verbena is overwintering! it must be in just the perfect spot! happy for you as i know she is your favorite:) hugs

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Global warming is happening! So glad to have you back, Leslie!:}