Thursday, September 30, 2010

If Your Garlic Chives Look Like This...!

Get out your clippers and clip those seed heads off quick!  I have zillions (OK, just millions) of garlic chives!  I already have tons of garlic chives.  So if your seed heads are like the ones above, get busy!  I got most of my mine cut yesterday.  Yes, I become herbally obsessed!  Hope you are having a great day wherever you may be!  Remnants of Nicole are giving us a gentle rain.  Not like on the east coast!  Hope there is not too much flooding with Nicole.  Going to see the new Wall Street movie.  Talk to you later!

A Quick Update for Becca and Anonymous  Garlic chives are similar to chives but have flat leaves not round that can be added to stir fries  and other dishes that you need to add a garlic taste.  They have white flowers in August and September.  The seed heads need to be cut vigorously to make sure they do not take over.  I'm going to be spending a lot of my gardening season next year getting rid of my volunteer garlic chives!  Becca and Anonymous, you can plant garlic in about two weeks.  You can buy a bulb in the grocery store and separate the cloves and plant them in the ground.  Supposedly the bulbs in the stores are sprayed so they will not grow, but I have grown garlic from grocery store cloves.  I know Becca is in the south and maybe Anonymous as well, you can actually plant it now, but here in the north we plant it around Columbus Day.  It is usually dug up in mid to late July, depending on the weather. 

Wall Street, the movie was very good.  Great cast, well acted!  Talk to you later!

8 comments:

Pam said...

I inherited a clump of garlic chives along with the rest of my garden when we purchased our house. The first year, I neglected to cut the seed heads off in the fall. I'm STILL trying to eradicate all the little "volunteers"! They spread like mad and have amazing roots. Now, every fall, it's "off with their heads!" :o) Thanks for the timely reminder!

Becca's Dirt said...

I don't have garlic planted. Too bad for me. I bet that is a really good movie. Just seen the previews and I love Michael Douglas. Have a good time and let us know how good it was. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

I WISH I had garlic planted! and I WISH I would have planted more basil!! I am already out of pesto and it is not even October!!!

Carol said...

Oh yes ...must get the clippers out... the granddaughters will be here this weekend...great chore to keep them busy with. :)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Pam and Carol have it correct. I have decided next year Pam that I'm just going to try and get all of the chives/garlic chives out of the herb garden and other areas. It may take me a very long time! Carol, it is a very good chore for your granddaughters. I'll do an update for Becca and Anonymous about garlic. Thanks for stopping by ladies.

Jules@MoonCatFarms said...

Finally getting a chance to visit one of my all-time favorite blogs!

My garlic chives are in a medium sized pot and haven't gone to seed yet. (Maybe we're eating too much of them?) They are quite yummy..

Have a lovely evening my friend.
Jules

PeggyR said...

I snip the blooms right away. I need to remember to do that with the dill also!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hi Jules, Glad to see you and know garlic chives are not a problem. Good idea to have them in a container.

Hi Peggy, dill is not as big a problem for me, but wherever you need to do!

Thanks for stopping by ladies!