Thursday, October 23, 2008

Herbal Crunch Time!

I was out cutting some of the last herbs of the season. We are supposed to get snow flakes next week! The first picture shows curly parsley, winter savory, thyme and oregano in the center between the parsley. The oregano, thyme and winter savory are drying between paper towels and the parsley is being frozen in plastic containers. It all works really well.

Next I cut some lovage (Levisticum officinale). It is very much like celery in looks but stronger in flavor.
If you like Bloody Marys, you can use lovage as a straw because the stem is hollow! Great conversation piece.

It is very easy to dry and I will use mine for a chicken recipe that I will share later.
Here it is hanging on the clothes line in the basement. The herb at the far left is summer savory.
Next I worked on the Italian flat leaf parsley. I again just placed the leaves in two plastic containers.

Finally, I had this pile of chives that I cut into small pieces and placed in one plastic container. You can use it by the teaspoon or tablespoon on baked potatoes with sour cream and my favorite way in the winter to use them with scrambled eggs. Yummy! A little work yields big herbal flavor during the cold days of winter.

No comments: