Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rosemary Garlic Jelly Day!

In June I took a topiary class from The Rosemary House. As you can see they are doing rather well. They both have blooms on them. The heart shaped one has buds all along the heart and the non-spiral spiral next to it is also blooming. It is more of a rocket shape because the herbal husband pulled up on the spiral while I was pushing down. It is happy though because it's blooming. The Rosemary House has a very wonderful blog at Rosemary's Sampler. It has both tea and herb postings. It is really a treasure. Well, more about the jelly. I have adapted a Certo recipe because it has my ultimate pet peeve, it makes more than four glasses. That little half jar is a nuisance especially when it is a surprise. So here is my adaption:

Rosemary Garlic Jelly (Makes 4-8 oz. jars)

1-1/4 cups dry white wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
1/4 cup minced garlic (a whole head, maybe more)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
3-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (This ingredient must be used!)
1 pouch CERTO Fruit Pectin


Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Boil jars in water for 10 minutes. Let stand in hot water until ready to use.

Mix wine, garlic, vinegar and rosemary in 3 or 4 quart saucepot. Stir in sugar. Add butter or margarine to reduce foaming.  Bring mixture to full rolling boil that can't be stirred down. Take saucepot off the burner and add package of Certo quickly.  Return to boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.  Start stirring again.  This will take the foam away and stir for another 5 minutes before jarring it.  This will help suspend the rosemary and garlic throughout the mixture.  It does work.

Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars in pot or canner and make sure that water covers jars by 1 to 2 inches. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid to not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Here is a finished jar. Use it over a block of cream cheese with crackers or put a teaspoon or two on a piece of boneless, skinless chicken or pork in the last 15 minutes of baking.
Delish!

3 comments:

Martha said...

I've have never made rosemary garlic jelly-- but I will! Thanks for the recipe -- it sounds yummy!

I'm including you as a friend of Linderhof.

Comfrey Cottages said...

gotta try this! sounds wonderful!:)

Faith said...

I wish I had a fireplace to throw some rosemary into it...I'll bet that smell wonderful. They smell
very much like Christmas to me. We have some here at the Nature Center in our garden, it is tall
and still growing in November. I went out today, I'm going to try to grow myself some...Thank you for sharing this wonderful post
about Rosemary. :)